A few days has past since we tossed something up on the site, but that doesn't mean we've been quiet. Lots of things have been happening behind the scenes, both for the Pens and for PensU. Lets take a look at some of the latest things happening on all fronts...
- POD.CASTING: Just finished recording our third episode of the Pens Universe podcast show which should be up on the site tomorrow or Wednesday. We had special guest Chris Devivo, Director of Media Technology for the Pittsburgh Penguins join us to talk about the Consol Energy Center.
- TWO.0: We've also been working hard getting all the ducks in a row for the release of our new and improved 2.0 site. There are a lot of moving parts and we're just making sure everything is in place before we go live in a few weeks. While I can't promise everything will go right the first day, I can assure all of our readers that it will be a much better experience altogether. Lot's of new features available, so stay tuned.
- GUERIN-T'D: We all received the news the other day that Billy Guerin is not going to be in a Penguins uniform next year. While there were mixed reactions from fans on this, we at PensU stood in agreement that this was the best move. BG's age really started to show up in the latter half of the season, into playoffs this past year. It was clear to management that he was no longer able to keep up with the pace of the game in Bylsma's system. No longer is he able to keep up in the top 6 of the Pens, nor is there any room in the bottom 6. As a result, good riddance Billy. We'd like to thank you for the contribution and will never forget the stretch run in 09 that lead to the Cup.
- STAAL'D: Reports from Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune were our late last week about some complications that Jordan Staal has been having with the severed tendon in his right foot. He had surgery to repair the injury he sustained from Montreal Canadien P.K. Subban in the second round of the playoffs last year. At this point there's speculation that he could miss the better part of training camp.
Shero said, "We'll see how he is for camp. The tendon itself is intact, strong. He just hasn't had the opportunity to be on skates much, and we're not going to rush him."
Truthfully that could mean a lot of things, but the buzz has primarily been negative in nature. We'll know more this week as to if and when we can expect Jordan to return to the ice.
- MAREK-OLD: Mike Colligan of The Hockey Writers has been following the development of a possible Marek Svatos signing. He's written a solid article on why in fact Svatos could be a good fit, but reported on twitter the other day that while there remains interest, the Penguins have not in fact been in contact with Svatos and company.
There's not much else out there on the Pens front, but much to be excited about. You can listen to episode 2 of our podcast to hear us discuss line combinations and reaction to the Asham signing. Other than that, training camp is right around the corner and we'll be doing our best to keep you abreast of the latest happenings along with our analysis on a given situation. Till then, LET'S GO PENS!