Only three games this week, which is a welcome respite for the Pens, who have played more games than any team in the NHL so far. Swept a home and home series from the NY Islanders and dropped a close one in Toronto to go 2-1 this week. Let's recap...
10/25: PENS 3 Islanders 0
- Malkin returned to the lineup after missing 5 straight games. He didn't get on the scoresheet, but he made some nice plays.
- With about 3 minutes left in first, Orpik made a nice pass up the middle to a streaking Dupuis on a breakway. Dups buries it for a 1-0 lead.
- Just 21 seconds into the 2nd, Asham steals the puck and gets it to Park, who is able to get it by Nabokov for a 2-0 lead.
- Islanders were stood up by Fleury all game and Jordan Staal sealed the win with an empty netter. Assist from Dupuis.
- Neal led with 5 shots.
- Staal and Kunitz led all forwards with 3 hits.
10/27: PENS 3 Islanders 2 (shootout)
- Islanders took a 1-0 lead late in the first and a 2-0 lead early in the third.
- But just 44 seconds later, Kunitz banged home a loose puck to get the Pens on the board.
- A few minutes later, Neal-tober continued when he banged his 9th home on a pretty tic-tac-toe passing play on the power play to tie the game. Kunitz and Malkin picked up the assists.
- In the shootout, Geno scored the lone goal to seal the comeback win.
- Neal led with 6 shots.
- Kunitz led with 2 hits.
10/29: LEAFS 4 PENS 3
- Another one...Staal misses the game to a "lower body" injury.
- Leafs take a 1-0 lead on a power play goal.
- Cooke ties the game in the second when he puts one behind the Monster. Asham picks up an assist.
- Toronto gets another power play goal a minute after Cooke's goal. 2-1.
- Kunitz evens it up again, on the power play. Malkin with an assist.
- Leafs take another lead, 3-2, in the third period.
- Malkin blasts a one-timer past the Monster on the power play. Neal picks up an assist.
- Kessel gets the last goal and puts the Leafs up for good 4-3.
- Kunitz and Malkin led with 5 shots.
- Kunitz led with 4 hits.
FOURwards of the week:
1: Chris Kunitz- 2 goals and an assist in the three games this week. He has 4 goals in his past 6 games and leads the team in hits. He provides a solid net front presence on the power play and is a forechecking machine.
2: Pascal Dupuis- Continues to be a reliable forward, with a goal and 2 assists this week.
3: Evgeni Malkin- Finally appears to be back in the lineup for good. Startly a little more slowly than the beginning of the season, but had a goal and 2 assists and a shootout winning goal. 2 for 2 in shootouts this year.
4: Arron Asham- Picked up 2 assists this week. I like what he brings to the team on that 3rd or 4th line.
Pens finished 8-3-2 this month, which is pretty damn good considering the injury bug continues to bite. Let's hope the bug clears up and the Pens continue their solid, balanced play into November. Only two games this week, out west against the Kings and Sharks as the Pens get a bit of a breather on the schedule.
LETS GO PENS!